Let us guide you through the ins and outs of your cemetery experience.
Of course you want to respect those grieving when you attend a funeral service. But, we understand that it’s sometimes confusing to figure out what this actually means. What do you say? What do you wear? Do you give the mourner a gift? How can you help them?
We want you to feel comfortable and relaxed when you’re at our cemetery. Here’s how you can feel at ease and help us respect these sacred grounds.
Visiting the Cemetery
Here are some of the Dos and Don’ts for visiting Gethsemane Cemetery and Memorial Gardens cemetery.
- Watch over children to ensure their safety.
- Follow our cemetery guidelines.
- Respect cemetery visiting hours.
- Follow the marked roadways.
- Be respectful by keeping quiet around visitors who wish to reflect.
- Take photos of other visitors or funerals.
- Walk over graves.
- Disturb flowers or plants on the grounds.
Grave Flowers Etiquette Tips
- Whenever placing flowers in a built-in vase on a cemetery, keep in mind that the display must be able to withstand strong winds, heavy rain, and snow drifts. To keep the flowers tight, you might use a piece of styrofoam that fits tightly in the bottom of the foundation. It's also a good idea to clean the headstone.
- Leaving flowers on the graves of loved ones is also a unique custom. When we visit the graves of individuals we've lost, we often leave flower arrangements that we believe they would like, or even flowers that we know were their favorites in life. Remove all paper, plastic, and other materials that could fly away, regardless of the sort of flowers you put at the grave.
There are no right or wrong ways to show support. You are being a source of support by simply coming to the funeral service. However, another great way to show support to the family is through sharing memories and stories of their loved one. You can also offer gestures of support by purchasing flowers or small gifts, such as a card, food, books or personalized gifts that reflect memories of the deceased. To get some more tips, check out our section on grief support. To find beautiful gifts for a loved one, visit our store.